Sunday, August 20, 2006

where do I start? so much to tell!

so now, it is Sunday and I have been in Beijing for uhm... 4 days or so... and well, forget what I wrote on thursday because of course I changed all my plans completely. So here's what happened:
On thursday night I met some English people here at the hostel... and we decided to go to the Great Wall together on Friday, when I had actually planned to visit the forbidden city... anyways.. the great wall was great, wonderful, unique, impressive, and just wow!! I did a tour from Jingshanling to Simatai, which is only about 10 km hiking, but due to the stong inclines it takes about 4 hours... there are parts which are up to 75% steep... I have never walked so many steps in my life, and these are steps of 40 or 50cm hight each... never ending... but great! Also
this part is special because the wall is not restored at all parts, especially the part of Jingshanling is very authentic, which also means quite some climbing. I would definately not call it walking over the wall!! There were not many tourists there which is also great, and there are at least no annoying souvenier stalls there... only some people selling "waaer, coca, beea - you buii - waaer, coca, beaa" and "tshiat, haai quuoolity tshiat!" but they are nice, and we were glad to be able to buy some water for 20 Eurocents a bottle.
When we got back at night we had a great dinner, in the Hutong where the hostel is,... just outside on the street, on one of the smallest chairs inbetween babbeling chinese... so yummy, we had Beijing duck I think that night!
on Saturday I actually then wanted to go to the forbidden city.... however, I thoguht I would quickly get my trainticket before that... haha... "quickly" is a feeling which I should forget about here... it took me 4 hours... to go to the train station and actually stand in about 7 - 9 different lines... before I was at the end of the zillions line and refused to leave... and explained to the officer in chinese (haha, thank god for lonely planet language guide!!) what I wanted... and I actually got my ticket!
then it was too late though for the forbidden city and so I went to one of the shopping districts... where I just looked around basically... the new and fancy part and then also the old and authentic part where you can get all kind of traditional stuff and can bargain hard again!! I had a wonderful meal there ... chinese food is yummy - realy!!
then I went back home to the hostel and went out with Sam, Cat and "Sparkey" from England, whom i had been to the great wall with... found a kinda interessting chinese Techno club... but even though the music was crap the beer was cheap so we stayed!!
Today we (same people again) went to the Summer Palace at the border of the city. There it was actually a little cooler than here... but still hot... well, that was also great, all the old buildings and the historical palaces.
now I'm gonna go downstairs to party at the hostel tonight... yummy chinese Rice wine!
and my plans of the forbidden city... well, maybe I'll go tomorrow!! we'll see!!
now thats it ... keep me updated whats happening in Europe, the US and Mexico (Kathrin, u got lazy!!) take care everybody, nihao!!

oh and finnally some tips and tricks if you ever plan to visit beijing:
1. Are you able to eat with chopsticks?? are you sure?? are you R E A L L Y sure? if not, practice in advance (I am glad that I can do it - there is no way to survive this without!)
2. buy a map with the streets both in English and in Chinese on them!
3. forget what you learned about manners in Europe: burp and spit around as much as you like - if you manage to do so you will be almost chinese!!
4. are you afraid of food where you dont know what it might be? yes? --> do not come here
5. bargain hard!! everything goes at least for half the price... some places up to 10 times cheaper than the first offer!!

... more pictures are on www.claudia-schmitz.medion-fotoalbum.de...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyy claudiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!whaa jealouse over here!! you're only there for a short time and allready experiencing so much!! cool really nice.. ow and uhh you THINK you ate duck?? umm owke claudia if thats what you want to believe.. haha than you ate duck.. hey really looking forward to read your next experience.. a bigggg huggg and kissessss love antoinette