Sunday, August 27, 2006

Wednesday, 23rd... Forbidden City

So, Wednesday, I actually finally made it to THE sight of Beijing - the forbidden city. Anyhow, I had - thanks to the air conditioning everywhere - a cold since the evening before and was not feeling quite well, which made the visit not as good as it could have been. Also due to the fact that it was becoming slightly too much "old stones" ;) (sorry, of course I do appreciate what I saw - really!) we all made our way though the palace quite fast - meanign we only spent about 3 or 4 hours there. It was brutally hot but we still resisted the starbucks which they actually set up INSIDE the forbidden city - in my view a totally hillarious idea, quite out of place. well, all the halls and palaces and other buildings were quite impressive - really. What might be funny for you to hear is some of the best "Chinglish" ever. I think the number one sign said: Any act of carelessness will lead to the eternal loss of beauty" We assume that it was supposed to tell us that this cultural relic was unique and if we broke it it could not be replaced... but that is of course just our own interpretation... ;)
After the visit to the great wall I stepped into a pharmacy and managed to buy somehting for my throat, ears, nose... whatever: head! ... then I went back to the hostel and spent the rest of the day in bed... until I got out at night for a quick dinner across the street with Jen and William... thats all... so not that much to tell for once!!

No comments: